Sunday, June 27, 2010

Meet Harvey

Harvey came into my life Feburary 12th, 2006. (I remember the date clearly, one, because it became Harvey's birthday and two, because Dave and I canceled our Valentine's day dinner plans two days later in fear of leaving him all alone in his roommate's house). I always wanted a dog, but my parents said, "we have four children, we don't need any more." It never seemed like a practical time to adopt a dog, there was always an excuse. After graduating college, while I was trying to discover what "to do" with my life, seemed liked a reasonable time. I will admit, I was feeling quite impulsive the day I met Harvey.

"Let's just go look," I told Dave. After one walk through at the Tucson Humane society and meeting with an extremely timid black dog, I had lost hope. We were about to leave, but I thought, "I'll walk through one more time."
There he was, in a kennel with a female pit bull in heat. His name was Verbal. He was scraggly and smelled of urine, but his quiet blue eyes met mine. We took him into the courtyard and he did a wild run, which is now known as Harvey's "freak out." That was that, we adopted him. I asked Dave what we should name him, he turned to me without much thought and said, "Harvey?" My life would never be the same.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to know the back story about Harvey. I never thought to ask. Now you have to post about Norm.

    ReplyDelete