Sunday, August 29, 2010

Therapy Man


Once a week, Harve and I visit patients, families and faculty in the hospital. Some days run smoother than others, depending on Harvey's mood. Today was one of those days he amazed me.

First, he greeted a patient walking slowly in the halls with her husband. As worn out as she looked, she was so grateful and excited to see a dog and asked if Harvey could accompany her on her walk. She held onto the second lead and Harvey walked so gently and slow as to accommodate her. During the walk, several times, he turned and looked at her, smiling and checking in.

On our mini walk around the hospital grounds, Harvey met a little boy being pulled by his mother in a wagon. The boy was wrapped in bandages and could not reach to pet Harvey. Harvey approached him and gave him a gentle kiss and some wags. The little boy smiled.

Of course, Harvey had to visit his favorite nurse. After she vigorously pet him, he decided it was a good time to nap and laid down behind her work station.

Most of the time, Harvey is the conversation starter between the patients' and I. It's amazing the stories of hardship and near death I am told. One woman, while visiting Utah, was in the hospital after having a myocardial infarction. Referring to the EMT/paramedics that took her to the hospital, she said "is this what it takes to have nine handsome men looking at me at age 71?!" We chatted for quite some time while she pet Harvey and intermittently spoke to him with a high tone "you're such a good boy." She said that life is full of worries and that the worries change throughout the years, but the only way to get through it is to be positive and not take everything so seriously. She said, "this, this right here is what it's all about."

On the way home, I stopped by the grocery and grabbed some Frosty Paws a.k.a FP's (ice cream just for dogs!) from the ice cream freezer section. When I arrived home, I gave one to Harvey for being such a good therapy man and one to Norm for being a well behaved little brother at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment