Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pro and Cons of Dogs and The Vegetable Garden

Gardening has been a challenge with dogs running around in the backyard.  Harvey wasn't particularly a problem. I could usually tell him "out" once and he'd commit that to his long term memory.  Last year I put a wire fence up around my raised bed to mostly keep Norm out.  Of course, he squirmed his little way in!
Norm's door to the garden     


This year I'll have to devise a way to block his entrance, possibly with a piece of plywood.  The con is I've seen him jump the entire wire fence before to interrogate the neighbor's pet rabbit.  The second con is having a vegetable garden next to a neighbor with a pet rabbit.

Today, I was pleasantly surprised to find my garlic popping up. I thought for sure between the frosty winter and the dogs trampling on the garden, I was out of luck.  I have maybe five or so sprouting!


So, the only pro I can think of by having dogs inhabit your backyard vegetable garden is that they can produce wonderful fertilizer!  Well, maybe not so much.

Harvey and Norm's turf

My compost bin, which I started last spring.  Contents inside do not include dog fertilizer!

1 comment: